Lung cancer is a leading cancer and cancer killer here in Malaysia with 90% cases being diagnosed at the late stage of the disease. According to the Malaysian National Cancer Registry (2007 – 2011), there were 10,608 out of 103,507 lung cancer cases reported with 7,415 cases in males and 3,193 cases in females.
Anybody can get lung cancer but most lung cancers are caused by:
- Smoking (90%) – active and second-hand smoke
Tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemical substances, most of which have been identified to cause lung cancer. According to research, smoking 20 cigarettes per day increases the risk of lung cancer by 20-25 times compared to non-smokers.
Other causes of lung cancer include:
- Air pollution from vehicles and factories
- Exposure to asbestos
- Having lung diseases such as tuberculosis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Occupational exposure to arsenic, chromium, nickel, aromatic hydrocarbon and ether
The recommended screening test for lung cancer is Low-Dose Computed Tomography (also called a low-dose CT scan or LDCT). During an LDCT scan, you lie on the examination table and an X-ray machine uses a low dose of radiation to make detailed images of your lungs. The scan only takes a few minutes and is not painful.
In conjunction with November Lung Cancer Awareness Month, Beacon hospital is collaborating with Lung Cancer Network Malaysia (LCNM) to provide free low dose CT scans.
Terms & Conditions
- This promotion is valid from 1 November until 30 November 2019.
- This promotion is limited to the first 20 customers only.
- This promotion is eligible to male or female Malaysian citizens or permanent residents aged 45 to 75 years old who are either current or former smokers of approximately 20 years duration.
- This promotion is not eligible for individuals who have already been diagnosed with or treated for lung cancer.
- This promotion is not eligible for customers who are non-smokers.
- This promotion includes free Low Dose CT Scan (LDCT) of the lungs, Radiologist’s report and consultation.
- This promotion excludes any additional follow-up scans, biopsies, blood test or necessary treatment.
- Customers are required to make a prior appointment.
- Beacon Hospital Sdn Bhd reserves the rights to amend the terms and conditions without prior notice.