The prostate is a walnut-sized small gland acting as part of the male reproductive system. As we age, the prostate tends to grow larger and cause problems that are mostly related to urination. Some of the commonly heard prostate-related issues in relation to aging are enlarged prostate (benign prostate hyperplasia) and prostate cancer.
According to the Malaysian Urological Association, one out of every two men in Malaysia is estimated to experience prostate enlargement problems when they reach their 50s. On the other hand, prostate cancer is part of the ten highest cancers detected among Malaysians and it is the 3rd most common cancer among men.
Prostate enlargement or benign prostate hyperplasia can have similar symptoms to prostate cancer; however, it is non-cancerous. Therefore, it is important to get yourself checked when there are symptoms to rule out cancer, such as:
A burning sensation while urinating
Frequent urination especially at night
Difficulty to stop/start urinating
One of the fast and easy ways to check your prostate health is the Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) test. It is a blood test that measures the level of PSA in your blood. PSA is a protein produced by both normal cells and prostate cancer cells in the prostate. It is normal to have a small amount of PSA in your blood. However, the PSA level may slightly increase as you age and if the size of your prostate enlarges. Hence, it is vital for you to get it checked and get an accurate diagnosis for the right management plans.
Studies have identified age and family history as contributing factors for prostate cancer. However, the risk factors for prostate enlargement are still unknown, although it is observed to occur with advancing age. Therefore, Beacon Hospital is now providing Prostate Specific-Antigen (PSA) tests to increase awareness about the importance of screening to find out the root cause of prostate related issues, and solving it to get a good quality of life.
*Terms & Conditions:
1. This CSR programme is valid from 15th May 2023 to 15th September 2023.
2. This CSR programme is open for first 1,000 customers only.
3. This CSR programme includes a Prostate-Specific Antigen test and reporting only.
4. This CSR programme excludes registration fee, follow-up consultation and other additional tests/medications/procedures.
5. Customers can only participate in this CSR programme once within this programme period.
6. Customers are required to make prior appointment for the programme.
7. Beacon Hospital reserves the right to change the terms & conditions anytime without prior notice.